Teens Covered for the Lord

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Teens Covered for the Lord

A forum for teen, preteen, and young adult girls who practice Christian headcovering in accordance with 1 Corinthians 11 to come together.

2 posters

Babysitting

Jordyn
    Jordyn

Babysitting Empty Babysitting

Post  Jordyn Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:24 pm

So right now we are babysitting a baby from our church named Kolton. He is so sweet! I put him down for like 2 second and he grabbed my skirt and whined for me to pick him up! He was on a blanket and crawled over to my mommy and leaned back on his legs and held out his arms for my mommy! How ardorable! He is 10 months old, mabey close to 11.
    Do any of you babysit for others?
    Jordyn cherry
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Admin

Babysitting Empty Re: Babysitting

Post  Rachel Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 am

Yes! I love little kids! I'm actually studying for a certificate in childcare as part of my high school work.

I don't actually do much actual babysitting, although sometimes families from church ask me to look after their children.

I work in the crêche at church about every six weeks, often more often if someone can't do it because whoever's on knows me well enough to know that I'm always willing to do it! There are between three and eight children in crêche from about six months to three years. I also look after some of those children again on Wednesday mornings during the women's Bible study.

One of the girls I look after, Mia, is about eighteen months old (and scarily enough, I looked after her six-year-old sister in crêche at another church!) but the first time my mother was on crêche with me, Mia was throwing a bit of a tantrum when her mother left and mum was trying to console her and failing, but when Mia caught sight of me she suddenly started struggling to get to me! Mum handed her over to me and withing seconds she had stopped crying! I was so surprised! But she's such a cute kid.

The other thing I do is called 'respite care', and that basically means I babysit autistic children for an hour or two during the day so that their parents can have a break. Some of those children can be up to eight years old, but some of them even at that age still can't talk very well (that's why I know some AUSLAN, which is Australian Sign Language). There are actually a surprising amount of people who are willing to let me babysit their autistic children! I guess a lot of the time they don't want to get a babysitter in because they're afraid the babysitter won't know how to deal with an autistic child, or because the babysitter is afraid of looking after an autistic child. They're fine with me because they know I know how to work with autistic children. I've had a lot to do with autistic children in the past; there are lots of people with Autism Spectrum Disorder in my family and we go to a lot of the Autism Community events and also the Camp Autism (which is really fun!). So the parents of the kids I look after know me from that, too!

Anyway, I seem to be babbling a bit here. But seriously, a lot of the stuff I do involves babysitting or childcare to some degree...

Also, about two weeks ago, I trained with a camp I go to a lot to be a 'bunkhouse leader' at their camps. Since I'm only fifteen (minimum age for trainin), I will only be leading at the youngest camps. But I'm very excited about it!

from Rachel.
    Jordyn
    Jordyn

Post  Jordyn Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 pm

In our church we have to be 18+ to work in the nursery. That isn't very fair!!! I think looking after young children at my age is entirly reasanable! It gives them a chance to expeireance of being a mother someday, if that makes any sence. :-)
    Well thanks!
    JORDYN cat
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Admin

Post  Rachel Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:27 am

I think our church used to have 18+ but then they decided they needed more than one person in there because there were so many children, so now there has to be an 18+ leader and an assistant, so I'm the 'assistant'. Most of the leaders are more like 40+ though.

In our previous church, I was a crêche volunteer from about the age of 9. At that point, we had about 8 babies born within 6 months of each other and no-one really wanted to volunteer for crêche, so it was often myself and one of the mothers. I think this is rare, though; it was basically whoever turned up who minded the children. At the church we're in now, there's a roster.
    Jordyn
    Jordyn

Post  Jordyn Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Well, i think when i get done with my fourth book in AWANA i will ask Pastor David if i may help with the Puggles or Cubbies, because Puggles are 8 mon.-i think two or three. And Cubbies are Pre-K threw first grade, so they are all little and the leaders might need some assistance with like walking them to games and give them snacks, or things like that.
    Jordyn flower
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Admin

Post  Rachel Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 am

Sounds fun!

I was phoned by the Youth Ministry Co-ordinator (fancy way of saying she's in charge of the Sunday school) the other day and she said she'd like me to come to the YM meeting this week because she knew I was interested in working with children and wanted to know if I'd consider helping out with the youngest SS class (about four- to six-year-olds, I think)!!! I'm very excited about this.

I'm just worried that between doing crêche and Sunday school helper, I'll be mising lots of sermons. I'm going to start going to night church when I have to miss the sermon.

from Rachel.
    Jordyn
    Jordyn

Post  Jordyn Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:19 pm

So I wanted to share this with all of you.
    We have some Mennonite friends and they have Bible study every other Sunday. Their youngest daughter Christina (11) and I are put incharge of all the younger children. We have childrens Bible study before that, which lasts about 15-20 minutes. Then Christina and I take Reuben (2), Alacay (4), levi (Cool, Abby (7), and sometimes Oren (10 mon.) outside to play while them men have their Bible study downstairs and the womens Bible study upstairs. I also wanted to hive some helpful tips on childcare
    1. Make sure you have an eye on them at all times, espaically if you are outside and the people live by a road. Even if the road is not busy, there are still cars every once and a while
    2. Always be kind and don't lose your temper. If you do, they can become scared of you and cry. You never want to make them cry!
    3. If they get a bruise or a cut, go inside to wash and bandage it.
    4. Always ask their parents if it is okay to do what ever you wish to do with the child.
    5. Play what they all want to play. Even if it is a ittle young for you, still play with enthusiazum!
    6. Don't let them do dangeras things. Make sure they stay with you and your helper at all times.
    6. ( and this is the most important one!) HAVE FUN!!!!!
    So i hope these help new childcare helpers and babysitters!
    Jordyn :-)
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Admin

Post  Rachel Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:29 am

Ooh... number 4 is a very important one. When I'm babysitting, I'm always worried about "Am I allowed to let the child do this", or "Will I get in trouble if I make him do that". That can be quite stressful to worry about!

I would also put, don't worry too much if they start crying. A lot of children start crying as soon as their parent leaves: in this case, the best thing is to distract them. They'll soon forget. At other times, find out what the matter is. The child could be hungry, thirsty, bored, soiled their nappy, missing their parent, or a myriad of other things. Some are easy to fix, some are not so easy. Sometimes all the child wants is to be cuddled for a little while.

You're right about number 5, too. If you're enthusiastic, the child will be, too. Even if you're not enthusiastic, act it. Younger children won't be able to tell the difference. The best way to get them to want to tidy up is to act cheerful and say something like, "Ooh, tidying up is so fun! Look, can you put that in here? Wasn't that fun?!"

Sometimes it can be difficult, too. In the past week I have been babysitting one boy while his brothers had swimming lessons. His mother was in the pool with the eighteen-month-old. Ollie is almost 3, and the reason he wasn't allowed to have holiday swimming lessons was because he's autistic! I was very annoyed at this, because the centre's reasoning was that he wouldn't be able to follow the structure of the lesson and the teachers weren't qualified enough. Well, lots of autistic people *crave* structure, and how exactly does the teacher need to be more qualified to teach a 3-year-old autistic boy than a one-year-old neuro-typical child?

Anyway, Ollie absolutely loves the water. It was heartbreaking to see him arrive, so excited because he knows they're going to the pool, and then have to keep him from getting in the pool. The only thing he wanted to do the entire time we were there was get in the water. I ended up taking him out and not letting him even see the water, just because it was distressing him so much.

On another note (sort of), I'm going to the Annual Australia Day Spit-Roast Barbeque at the home of a family from church. We went to a previous church with this family, and the spit roast is delicious! We went last year and basically the entire church turned up, plus quite a few others. Anyway, they have a one-month-old baby!!!! I have hours of baby-holding ahead of me tonight (hopefully)!!! Provided someone else doesn't get to her first. Mind you, Mrs Brown will probably let me hold the baby because she knows I didn't get a chance in church this morning. Little Elizabeth is so cute!!

from Rachel.
    Jordyn
    Jordyn

Post  Jordyn Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 pm

One tip i would have for new babysitters, about our age, like you said, don't worry if they start to cry. If they can't see their parent or grandparent, or who ever is watching the child, they will cry or whimper. So, you need to keep them occupied with a story, toy, or other things. Walking saround helps too. Also, they will cry if they are cutting teeth. Hope this helps
    Jordyn

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am