Teens Covered for the Lord

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Teens Covered for the Lord

A forum for teen, preteen, and young adult girls who practice Christian headcovering in accordance with 1 Corinthians 11 to come together.

2 posters

Bunkhouse Discussions

Rachel
    Rachel
    Admin

Bunkhouse Discussions Empty Bunkhouse Discussions

Post  Rachel Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 am

Well, next week I'm going on camp. I'm going to Wirraway Homestead Youth Centre (you can look at it here http://www.wirraway.org/). It's a non-denominational Christian youth camp which runs most weeks of the school holidays. I think it's my fifth or sixth or maybe seventh time (I loose count easily) going there, but it's my first time going not as a camper.

I'll be a Bunkhouse Leader! The camp is for 10-12 year olds, so it'll be me and between 5 and 8 girls in the bunkhouse. I'm rather nervous, actually. I'll be 'mother' for the week - in charge of getting them to bed, getting them up, getting them washed and dressed and everywhere on time, and... in charge of Bible studies/devotionals.

These devotionals are called 'Bunkhouse Discussions' and are meant to take about 15 minutes right before bed each night. I've done something I don't think any of my Leaders have ever done, and planned everything out quite comprehensively. I don't know whether the girls in my bunkhouse will be Christians or not, whether they'll have been to church or Sunday school before, or anything. I know the camp often gets non-Christian children in simply because of all the others stuff that's done on camp (horse-riding, mainly, but there's also low ropes course, archery, more riding, dish-washing, orienteering, flying fox, horse-riding, pooper-scooping, and so forth). I've been in bunkhouses with girls who don't know at all who Jesus and God are, but then there are other girls who have been raised in Christian families and who are Christians and have gone to Sunday school every week for most of their lives. So it's a bit of a range.

I planned out nine Discussions for a five-night camp (arrive Monday afternoon, leave Saturday morning). The first one is mostly a get-to-know-you exercise, but I did put a couple of questions in about God, just to guage where the girls are at. Then I have two lots of four days, labelled 'A' (basic or beginners) and 'B' (more advanced). So after the first night, I'll choose which ones to do.

So I'm going to post them on here to see what you think. I know some of you are about this age group, so you'll probably have more idea as to whether what I've planned is appropriate or not.
    Jordyn
    Jordyn

Bunkhouse Discussions Empty Re: Bunkhouse Discussions

Post  Jordyn Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Have you posted you Discussions yet? I would really like to read them! I am 100% comvinced that you are a wonderful leader!
    Jordyn
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Admin

Post  Rachel Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks!

No, I haven't posted them yet - I can't work out how! If you really want to have a look at them, perhaps you could PM me your e-mail so I can send them to you that way.

Anyway, camp went pretty well. There was an interesting group of girls in my bunkhouse, ranging from the "I'm not a Christian and I want nothing to do with God or the Bible" up. There was one girl who's father's a minister (I used to go to their church when we lived in the city; Sally thought it pretty cool that I used to do Youth Group with her older sister!).

There was one girl in my bunkhouse who I knew from my homeschooling group. I didn't know her very well, but she was a little excited to find out I was her leader. Harriet was pretty amazing in that, every time one of the other campers said something nasty about God or Jesus or Christians, she would stand up to them, saying things like, "Well, this is a Christian campsite and even if you don't believe in God, can you at least respect that we do while you're here?"

So there were 8 girls in my bunkhouse - seven of them were 10 and one was 11, and about half of them had never been on camp before. I did discussions 'A', because 6 of them weren't Christians and knew little to nothing about God or Jesus.

I was worried they might hate me because I was pretty strict and didn't let them get away with things easily (I hope) and I gave them 'penalty dishes' (punishment washing-up after the next meal) on the first night for not going to sleep. But on the last day, one of the staff was hanging around with my bunkhouse during the free time (most of my bunkhouse was there) and he asked how they'd enjoyed the week with me. One of the girls told him "Rachel's awesome!" so I was pretty chuffed about that!
    Jordyn
    Jordyn

Post  Jordyn Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Okay. I sent it to you.
    JORDYN

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am